Friday, July 29, 2011

So Long Old Faithful

Day seven has come and gone. I can't believe our trip is almost over. Today we only had one game and it was against a club team made up of girls from all over the Czech Republic which we won 8-3!! Before the game they asked us to do some drills with them and show them how we practice. We ran infield and outfield drills and I really think they enjoyed it! After about an inning or so, Mr. Ray pointed out to me that Gabriella, the other teams catcher, didn't have a mitt. Between innings I took Old Faithful, my first ever catcher's mitt, over to her and told her she could use it. After we finished playing she tried to give it back to me and I told her she could keep it. She was so happy! She had explained to me that she wanted to be a catcher but she didn't have a mitt. It made my day just to see her face when I told her she could have it and that it would bring her lots of luck! So coach, if you're reading this, don't worry, Old Faithful has a new home and won't be returning to Meredith! :)
After each game we always thank the players and coaches, and today it was my turn to talk. Our speech consists of three things: We always thank them for sharing their home with us and allowing us to come to such a beautiful place. Then, we tell them that we're Christians who love Jesus. And we also express to them our love of softball and tell them how appreciative we are to have made so many new Czech friends! It felt really good to be able to relay the message to the girls today and to know that they actually understood me!
After we made our way back to the hotel, showered and got ready, we set out to explore more of the city with the Czech girls that we played today. Elise, the Czech girl that plays with us, and her boy friend, the coach of the other team, along with nine or ten players, joined us for a night on the town. We shopped and shopped and shopped some more, ate a delicious dinner, and walked the Charles's bridge at night which was absolutely beautiful!! This place amazes me more and more every day! I think I could stay here forever!

 A night time view of the city!
 Brickhouse working with the Czech girls!
 Team photo!
 A Czech pedicure! The fish eat all the bacteria off your feet!
The Cathedral!

No comments:

Post a Comment